Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Setsubun 2012


The men replaced the moon last night,
hanging it a bit lower outside my window.
It now has its white shine again,
after I’d gotten used to a confusing tint of orange.
But, I will miss that dull sun of night,
as it marked a special couple seasons in my life.

The men were cheerful
in their truck and crane and helmets,
climbing the pole
and ratcheting off the moon’s supporting straps.
They smiled and spoke in sing-song signals
to mark the stages of the old moon’s removing
and the hoisting of the new.
And I even caught the guardman--
those men who usually look
like they’ve been plucked out of street-boxes
and wrapped in an oversized jacket
just for the day’s job--
enjoying an inspection of my neighbor’s
tiny plum blossom tree,
checking the buds’ progress
towards spring.



by jerry gordon
2.3.2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home